Re: Gruit Ale
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 am
Yes, Froach is the heather ale I tried. That brewing company has a sampler pack that I forced upon Lil and Turc... It's a damn shame that my local liquor store doesn't carry anything other than the Froach (in 4-packs).Urgon wrote:Excellent! I recently tried one called 'Froach', which is flavored with Scottish heather ... very enjoyable!Kharybdis wrote:Hey, Urgon...
I've tried some of those herb-based ales from Scotland (heather, pine, elderberry, etc.) and they were fantastic.
I scored an old copy of Culpepper's Herbal guide a few years back, and have been reading up on *properties* of suggested herbs. I think I can work up a real relaxing & mellow induced gruit recipe from all that. Just need to try out a few batches with different quantities of the herbs. When they overpower the beer, it is not as enjoyable.
n.b. My 2nd gruit recipe I'm trying to theme upon Olde British Isles. Picking a good scottish ale recipe for the malty sweetness, and herbals from around the Isles... May call is something like Grand Druid Gruit ... will use an Edinburgh style yeast strain too..!
Will keep you posted!
--Urgon
p.s. American Amber is fermenting nicely! Should be a good one!